Plex is a suite of software and services that helps people easily organise, share and enjoy all their personal media. We recognise that our community and ecosystem play an integral role in this vision by developing useful products and applications that leverage the Plex platform. We also recognise, therefore, that there is a need to refer and link to Plex and our products and services. We identify our products and services with our trademarks, which consist of names, logos, words, characters and colours, a number of which are identified below. We consider these marks to be valuable assets.
To ensure that there is never confusion about our products and services, or our relationship with developers, partners and other members of the Plex ecosystem and community, we have put together the following Guidelines. Using the marks in the ways described below will allow you to avoid negotiating agreements with Plex and its lawyers, or receiving a request to change an inappropriate use. You must receive explicit written permission from Plex to use our marks in any way not described in the Guidelines and your use is subject to your agreement to be legally bound by these Guidelines, including the terms of our trademark license provided below. If you have any question regarding a proposed usage of our marks or to request permission for a certain use, please contact us.
Naming your Application or Product; Applying for a Domain
We appreciate the desire of developers to associate their products and applications with Plex. To ensure that you are able to promote your integration without creating confusion about whether or not it is a Plex product, please apply the following naming guidelines for your product and/or domain:
- Name your website, product, or application with something unique, that satisfies the other Guidelines.
- Feel free to include language on your site explaining that your application “Works with Plex.”
- Use “for Plex” following the name of your application, provided that the name of your application is unique.
You may not:
- Use Plex or derivatives thereof in the name of your application
- Use “for Plex” following the name of your application if the name of your application is not unique. For example, “Remote Control, Client, Player etc. are descriptive terms and are not considered unique.
- Register a domain containing Plex (or misspellings of Plex).
- Apply for a trademark with a name including Plex.
- Use or make derivative use of Plex trademark icons (see definition below). Examples of derivative iconography would include:
- a play symbol in profile;
- a play symbol, or part of one, with black, dark grey or orange colouring.
Visual Design of Your Website, Application and Related graphics and iconography
- Design your site with unique branding and logos, which satisfy the other Guidelines.
- Clearly distinguish any Plex marks, including any link to any Plex web site, from the content on your site.
- Follow the Brand Identity requirements whenever displaying a Plex logo.
You may not:
- Copy the Plex look and feel of any Plex web site (including the use of our distinct colour combinations, graphic designs or typography) or create any altered, distorted or interpreted representation of any of the Plex marks, as this could create confusion among our users.
- Feature any Plex trademarks in a manner that is more prominent than the names and trademarks identifying your business, product or service.
Written Work about Plex
- The title of your work must clearly state that it is about Plex, and not written or endorsed by Plex. For example, “Guide to Improving ‘X’ with Plex” is appropriate, whereas “The Plex Guide to ‘X'” is not.
- The Plex mark may be used as an adjective or noun, never as verb or in the plural or possessive form.
- When using “Plex” as the name of the Plex platform, use the generic term after the mark: “the Plex platform.”
You may not:
- Use a confusing book title which might imply your book is endorsed or written by us.
- Use our logo on your cover or in your title. This might be confusing and imply that the book is an official Plex book.
Plex does not permit or licence use of its trademarks or logos in connection with merchandise and other products, such as clothing, hats, mugs, dolls and toys, without a specific written agreement.
- Contact us with a detailed proposal if you would like to request an exception.
You may not:
- Use any of the Plex trademarks, particularly any play symbols or other logo or name on any apparel or merchandise without a written agreement with us.
Using the Plex Marks in your Ad or Marketing Campaign
- Use the Plex logo or Plex application icon as a link to the Plex service, in a manner that satisfies the other Guidelines.
- Use the Plex logo or Plex application icon to show that your product is compatible with Plex.
You may not:
- Use the Plex marks in a way that might imply a Plex partnership with, or endorsement of, your product or business.
- Distort or alter the Plex marks in any way.
- Use the marks in a way that confuses the Plex brand with your brand or any other brand.
- Use Plex slogans or copyrighted works in a manner that would suggest a relationship or commonality with Plex.
- Use any Plex mark in connection with any illegal activity.
Attributing Ownership of the Plex Trademarks
If you use any Plex trademarks, you must provide attribution of Plex ownership of such mark(s) by providing one of the following statements:
- “Plex, the Plex Play logo and Plex Media Server are trademarks of Plex and used under a licence” referencing the particular mark you use; or
- “* used under licence from Plex” where the asterisk appears in proximity to Plex’s trademarks.
PLEX, PLEX PASS, myPLEX, PLEX MEDIA SERVER, PLEX MEDIA CENTRE, PLEX MEDIA MANAGER, PLEX HOME THEATRE, PLEX TV, PLEX.TV, the Plex Play Logo (“>” in stylised format) are trademarks that are the exclusive property of Plex, Inc. Unauthorised use of these trademarks or other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos, domain names and other distinctive brand features that belong to Plex are strictly prohibited without prior written approval. To request authorisation to use Plex’s brand features or for other questions pertaining to trademarks please contact us.
Trademarks in Your Country
Of course, these Guidelines are not exhaustive, and do not fully describe all of our rights or actions we are permitted to take under applicable laws, or certain permitted use of our marks that you may have under the laws in certain countries. You are responsible for confirming the laws applicable to your proposed usage.
We have adopted certain standards for presenting our logo, typographical elements and colours, which we require you to follow when using our marks. You may obtain those standards below.
Logo Use Guidelines
We have adopted certain standards for presenting our logo, typographical elements and colors, which we require you to follow when using our marks. You may obtain those standards here.
For your convenience, we shall provide properly formatted Plex logos on this page for your use, subject to the trademark Guidelines and license terms on this page (which you agree to abide by as a condition to using them).
Conditions of License to Use Plex Trademarks
If you elect to use Plex’s trademarks, we require you to comply with any applicable guidelines set forth above. Your use is subject to your agreement to be legally bound by the terms of our trademark licence, the terms of which are provided below. Of course, you need not agree to be bound by these licence terms, but if you do not agree, you do not have any right to use our trademarks in connection with your product or service. Your use of Plex trademarks will be considered to be your acknowledgement and agreement to the following conditions:
- you will comply with all applicable Guidelines set forth above, as amended from time to time at the sole discretion of Plex;
- Plex owns any and all rights to Plex’s trademark(s) and the substantial goodwill in those marks (including any additional goodwill that may accrue as a result of your use of our marks);
- The use or display of Plex’s trademarks in connection with your application or other product shall not create any right, title or interest for you in or to the Plex trademarks;
- Plex shall have the sole right and discretion to bring legal or administrative proceedings to enforce its rights in its trademarks, including actions for trademark infringement or unfair competition proceedings;
- You agree not to, directly or indirectly, challenge Plex’s use, ownership or registration of Plex’s trademarks;
- You agree to provide Plex, upon its request, with copies of your marketing materials and reasonable evidence that the quality of your product or service is consistent with industry standards;
- you may not sell, assign or otherwise transfer your limited license to use the Plex trademarks without Plex’s express written consent; and
- You agree that Plex assumes no liability to you or to any third party due to your use of any Plex trademarks (which are provided “as is” and without any warranty or assurance they do not infringe another party’s rights) and you will indemnify and hold Plex harmless against any losses, damages and expenses incurred in connection with any claim against Plex arising from or relating to your use of such trademarks and/or your products or services; and
- You agree that this licence and any right to use Plex trademarks terminates automatically upon your failure to comply with these licence terms.