This year it seems like we’ve had extraordinarily weird news. With many upset that Boaty McBoatface was overturned, Trainy McTrainface has risen like a Phoenix born from the ashes of its predecessor. What else? There were enough Flat Earth truthers to unite for a conference, and DMX just released his long-awaited remix of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I could go on, but it makes me wonder what I’m being distracted from. What’s the REAL scoop? Between being both entertained and horrified by news this year, it’s as important as ever to stay informed and we’re glad you agree.
Since rolling out Plex News in September, we’ve seen a steady growth in the number of users enjoying it. We appreciate the support you’ve shown us in bringing content to Plex and we’ve been listening to your feedback on how to make it even better.
So what’s new?
- For starters, we’ve broadened our support. Plex News is available on Android TV, NVIDIA SHIELD, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Android Mobile, iOS, and on our web app. Now you can enjoy news bites from culinary adventures to natural disasters, and more. As always, we’ll continue to bring support to other platforms.
- We’ve pulled a few levers and re-adjusted our highly scientific news content calibrations to feature more content in each news category, less video duplicates of a popular story, and an overall more balanced experience.
- Plex News is in good company: we’ve been able to introduce more content with the Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Local Now. AP boasts coverage from breaking news to investigative reporting in over 100 countries. Similarly, Reuters is the world’s largest international multimedia news provider. Local Now provides hyperlocal weather, traffic, news, and sports reports.
- We’ve made News faster (half seconds add up!) and improved overall performance with miscellaneous bug fixes.
- Want more control over what you see? Want to keep your Plex setup unsullied from the dystopian news of 2017? With a new Plex account setting that lets Plex Home admins enable news for their Managed Users or for other accounts to disable News visibility altogether across their apps, you now have more control over what you see.
All of these updates are now available as soon as you use Plex News. For more information and frequently asked questions, visit Plex Support.