Hello Plexians! We just thought we’d take a quick break from all the hard work and let you know what we’ve been up to for the last few weeks. We’ll highlight the most awesome new features, releases, and news from across our ecosystem.
First stop, the Roku. They’re small, cute, and dependable. Much like a tribble, but much less trouble.
- We added Rotten Tomato movie ratings. (Is it bad that I almost accidentally pulled a Dan Quayle?)
- One of our most popular features, TV theme music, is back in the new app.
- A giant list of fixes and improvements.
Next stop, iOS. I’ll refrain from making a comment about hipster facial hair, even though I use an iOS device and currently have hipster facial hair.
- We’ve added a lovely “post-play” screen which encourages you to keep watching until way past your bedtime.
- We’ve added Rotten Tomatoes movie reviews.
- You can now stream ALAC music files to your devices. Please only listen via headphones connected to a tube headphone amp for your device.
- You can now change your remote audio quality setting, so when you’ve left your tube amp at home and have a crappy 3G signal, you can still enjoy your music.
- A brand new first run experience. If you’re new to Plex, we do a much better job of getting you up to speed.
Next stop, Android and Android TV. I just installed an Nvidia Shield as my primary living room player, and I have to say, I love it. We’ve added the ability to render embedded PGS/VobSub subtitles inside MKVs. This means no transcoding, no burning, just sweet fast Direct Play (this is on top of the number of other subtitle formats we render in the app).
Also great news, we have a massive update for the Xbox One app:
- Plex Home support!
- Music lyrics!
- Ability to create and edit playlists.
- Much more media direct played (HEVC/FLAC/ALAC/WAV).
- Stepping through videos will use chapter timestamps if they exist.
Our Smart TV app (PS3, PS4, and many other TVs) also got a large update:
- You can stream from a mobile server (e.g. iOS). How cool is that?
- You can stream from Cloud Sync servers.
- You can (finally!) play video and photo playlists.
- Last, but not least, a clock!
Finally, we have some special news for Samsung lovers: our official new smart TV app (as seen on LG, VIZIO and others) will be shipping on all 2016 Samsung smart TVs that support the Tizen operating system! Rollouts will begin with their higher end models, but Plex will be included on all 2016 models that support Tizen apps.
With that quick update, we bid you a fond adieu, and we’ll be back with you shortly!