We’ve also been hard at work this month on the new release of Plex for iOS. The most exciting change in this new version is support for myPlex-only configuration. Previous versions required a media server to be present, but no more! You can watch videos out of your queue and play shared content by simply signing into your myPlex account. Of course, Flash and Silverlight video still requires a media server to transcode, but thanks in no small part to Apple’s refusal to put Flash on iOS devices, more and more content is available in HTML5 video.
- NEW: Serverless operation!
- NEW: Added a preference for enabling/disabling Direct Play.
- NEW: Added even higher quality transcode options for iPhone 4S/iPad 2. More Direct Streaming, more winning.
- NEW: Display all the shared servers in settings area.
- NEW: Added new translations for Catalan, Czech, Danish, Spanish, Finnish, Hebrew, Hindi, and Hungarian. Thanks so much to everyone who has been helping out, and if you’d like to contribute a translation, please visit this site in Firefox.
- FIX: Improvements in Direct Play, more media should play without transcoding. If you’ve got media which is transcoding and shouldn’t be, please send us logs and samples, we want to hear about it.
- FIX: The letter index no longer shows black letters on a black background, which turns out to be quite hard to read.
- FIX: Crash when tapping to play a video.
- FIX: Rotation to landscape in remote view.
- FIX: Gesture area background color was odd.
- FIX: AirPlay Mirroring should work now.
- FIX: A crash in the details view on the iPhone.
- FIX: Better detection of non GSM iPhone 4 devices, allowing higher video quality settings to show up.
- FIX: The video player would sometimes continue playing in the background (audio only).
- FIX: When stopping video playback right away, sometimes it would display an error.
- FIX: Occasional black screen after playback, especially after multi-part media.
- FIX: In conjunction with the newest media server, fixes some channel content not playing.
- FIX: Occasionally the app would display the second level filters as a list.
- FIX: A few other miscellaneous crashes.
The update has just been approved by Apple, so it should be available shortly!