I can’t believe it’s already February! It’s been a rainy month out here, so for the most part there was nothing better to do than hunker down and write code and hope the electricity didn’t go out.
We have a brand new release for you with lots of good stuff. The exciting part, though, is that we spent as much time on the release as we did on some great new features coming up shortly. These new features are going to change the way you use Plex, and are going to open up some very interesting possibilities. We’ll be making a preview release shortly.
The release can be downloaded from here, and the source is available here.
Without further ado, here are the changes for this release:
- FIX: Ryan coaxed DTSWAV files into playing. It turns out to be impossible to play 44.1KHz DTS files on OS X, as it assumes encoded audio is 48KHz. For now, we’re mixing down the files, and shortly we’ll move to transcoding them to 48KHz AC3 files. Not optimal, but better than nothing given the limitations of the platform. (I’m looking forward to this personally, because I want to have the first 1080p Wizard of Oz + 5.1 Dark Side of the Moon party.)
- FIX: The highly annoying bug which caused TV shows to lose audio randomly with TV theme music enabled.
- FIX: Certain dialogs in the update code didn’t support UTF8 strings (James).
- FIX: There is now an option you can disable to prevent Plex linking the system audio output device with the device selected in Plex (System > Audio > Link System Output).
- FIX: The audio device settings didn’t appear to be remembered in the settings (they actually were saved, just not displayed correctly).
- FIX: We’ve disallowed deleting files from inside Plex by default. Much safer! This is a change to the settings, so you’d need to delete your guisettings.xml file to get the new value.
- FIX: We fixed a bug that prevented actions from being sent to Plex via event clients (used by Remote buddy).
- FIX: Ryan fixed a crash when attempting to transcode a corrupt DTS stream into AC3.
- FIX: Background music tracks are now played completely randomly.
- FIX: Isaac fixed some issues in the harmony and keyboard maps, and also added Hold Up/Hold Down to control volume in Full Screen Video and Visusalization for Mira users (and likely Sofa Control users as well). He also went through and “humanized” some of the error messages that Plex spits out to be more intelligible.
- FIX: Tweaked permissions on a MediaStream file.
- FIX: Mikey gave us some fixes to French strings (thanks!)
- FIX: Stillness sent some fixes for the KinoPoisk scraper (thanks!)
- FIX: A crash in Weather for some regions.
- FIX: Maddox suggested some excellent changes in the scraper defaults which result in better movie covers by default.
We have also updated the Plex Media Server (included with Plex) with the following changes:
- NEW: James added support for nested iTunes playlist folders and iPhoto folders (a much requested feature).
- NEW: Audiobook support.
We’ve also pulled the usual bunch of fixes from XBMC, including updated scrapers, updated UPnP code, and some fixes.
Here’s Barkley resting in the yard. He’s still wearing his brace, but his limp is nearly gone, and we’re planning to start the water rehab in our friends’ pool shortly.