That moment when you realize you’ve got so much great stuff to share that a single post couldn’t possibly contain it all… that’s when you write the third installment of our first-ever “September to Remember” Blog-a-Palooza Blogfest 2016!!! (Yeah, I just made that up. This could be why I’m not in marketing…)
Anyway, on to the good stuff!
Have I mentioned that we have the most talented Windows platform dev team in the world? Well, back in July we released a ground-up rewrite of our Windows app. It was a massive undertaking, and in addition to bringing in all the features you’d expect from a modern Plex app, it was also engineered under the hood to take advantage of the Windows Universal platform (read: the same app would eventually run everywhere). A great benefit for devs and users alike. Here’s one of our esteemed Windows devs, Matt, announcing this huge release internally:
A man of few words, he likes to keep his release notes on-point.
But we haven’t slowed down. Today’s release is the first to be truly Universal–it now works on all Windows 10 devices, including phones! And we’ve been hard at work on features, too. Here are just a few of the things we’ve been busy adding in Windows land:
- Cortana, Microsoft’s personal digital agent, is now supported—go ahead and tell her to “Shuffle the show Archer on Plex”!
- We also added support for Continuum. This is a pretty awesome feature—it allows mobile apps to morph into their full-sized desktop equivalent when the Window Phone is connected to a monitor and keyboard. Which means that Plex will continue to look amazing just by plugging it in!
- The updated UI we introduced earlier this year is now also available on Windows 10 Mobile!
In other news, we’re still hard at work on our DVR beta that we released earlier this month, which gives our loyal Plex Pass users the ability to record content from HDHomeRun devices directly into their Plex library. Your feedback has been fantastic, and even more awesome: we’ve already released a second beta which addresses some of the most important issues and expands the DVR beta to the NVIDIA SHIELD. Head over to the DVR beta 2 forum post for details.
Finally, in their spare time between creating animated Slack emoji, our Apple TV team has managed to release some amazing new features:
- A brand new nav sidebar that lets you jump Home or between libraries, or even switch users or servers with just a few clicks.
- Apple TV also now features seamless background music playback, since we know you don’t like to let the beat… mmm… drop.
- Auto-play all the things! (Apple TV and iOS now include our best-in-class “post-play” experience which helps with the binge watching as well as discovering other related content).
So whatever platform you love, we wish you a happy “September to Remember” Blog-a-Palooza Blogfest 2016 (see, it’s catchy!), and believe me we’ve got even more great stuff in store. Stay tuned, go forth, and Plex On!